
We just got back from a wonderful weekend in Jackson, WY, for the Jackson Hole Music Festival. What a neat event. It was their first year, and we headed out primarily to check out the Avett Brothers and the Black Crowes.
The setting was beautiful -- on the side of a mountain with the valley and a distant mountain range in full view. Interesting notes from the concert:

1) We ran into Carolina grads each day. The coolest was the cello player for the Avetts at breakfast.
The setting was beautiful -- on the side of a mountain with the valley and a distant mountain range in full view. Interesting notes from the concert:

1) We ran into Carolina grads each day. The coolest was the cello player for the Avetts at breakfast.
2) My beer snob friends would have been in heaven. I particularly liked the Snake River Lager.
3) I had a flashback to Oswego as Mark and I hung out in the car taking a break between some of the sets. With the AC running. And a Styrofoam cooler. The best part was the the local NPR station was doing a John Prine retrospective/interview show. What a great way to spend some time tailgating.

4) There were probably more than 50 people from North Carolina in the audience. They showed themselves mightily during the Avett Brothers show.
5) Mark really likes sundresses.
6) Walking uphill to get to get to the venue reminded me how flat Charlotte is, really flat. Especially since we went back and forth several times.
As far as the music itself, the Avetts were easily the best we saw. Their energy and stage presence was amazing. You could tell that they were catching on with folks in the audience who had never heard of them.
It was the best setting for the Black Crowes I've ever seen. I usually see them with really weird audiences, but not this weekend. On that note, check out this photo I took of Chris Robinson early in their set.

Much more on the rest of the trip later. Meanwhile, you can check out our photo album (linked on the right) for an obscene number of photos.
8 comments:
oh, forgive my novice posting. I'll get the spacing figured out at some point...
I'm not into blogs, a function of my advancing age; however, for dear friend, kron, I checked it out. Two observations: 1)you did bring back some Snake River Lager for your "beer snob" friends to taste, right?; and 2)the "tailgaiting" entry was TMI. (I knew I loved Mark!)
Alas, I did not bring back any lager. I will inquire with Mike Brawley. And Deb, tailgaiting implies that one is outside the car hanging out. Mark and I opted for the AC...
Would anyone realy expect Karen and Mark to have any lager left to bring back.
To Dad — no.
One can always hope, dad!
I think it's unhealthy that Kron chose to include her parents on this blog. This is a trainwreck waiting to happen. :)
But, since she did....Hey!!! Karen't parents. :)
And what of Mark's parents? I wouldn't want you to hurt their feelings by leaving them out :-)
Post a Comment