We headed towards the hills again in Saturday, this time taking in the Parkway from Pisgah to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. All we have left of the North Carolina Parkway to do this summer is the stretch around Grandfather Mountain.
A late start (well, last minute decision to go in the first place) made us try to find a quick route from I-26 to a Parkway entry point. It took us right by a nice little park on the French Broad River that had a picnic table in the shade within view of the water. And all the paddlers putting in. We loved it.
After lunch, we drove up to the Parkway and meandered about. We took in an overlook or two, but just weren't finding the right spot to play. With the kids tiring of the car ride, I pulled off at the Waterrock Knob picnic area. On one side, was a paved trail that said "overlook, .5 miles." While it went straight up, it seemed like a good trail for Will and Tate.
So, off we went. Mind you, Will has never made it more than .25 of a mile down a trail without major coaxing. Tate simply walks around in circles in about a 10 - 25 foot area. Mark and I let this go on for a bit and then move on the the next activity.
Saturday, Will went on his first hike. He made it to the end of the pavement, he trudged over rocks. He jumped over gaps. He led us all the way up the mountain, over difficult terrain. We started at 5820 feet and ended at 6292. While I went up with Will, I came down with Tate. She was having a big time too. Once she got a hand full of pebbles she was good to go, insisting on trying to navigate the 2-foot-wide/18-inch deep gaps on her own. And all this went on while I got to take in 50 mile views that included Clingman's Dome and Mt. LeConte.
After making it back down, we drove to the entrance to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Along the way was saw an elk in the road!!!! I longingly looked down 441 and decided that the sooner we could make it a weekend trip the better. I have places down that way I'd like to see again soon.
A brief side note about our return. With me unwilling to drive down the hill of I-26, Mark and I took the scenic route through Saluda. We stopped in Green River Barbeque. What a great joint. Even better, our children got compliments on their behavior on the way out the door. I'll gloss over the fact that I didn't hear said compliment because Will grabbed my keys and went running out the screen door. It was quick/quiet enough that Mark had to call to figure out where we went.
Sunday, July 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment